Saturday, January 15, 2011

Solitude 1



Many people have told me my artworks would look very cool in living rooms if they were bigger. I totally agree but I just couldn't work on anything bigger than 15 inches because of many reasons. Most of my works are illustrations that need to be reproducible. Thus, they should be in sizes that can fit in the scanner I have access to, which is around 19 inches by 15 inches. 
When I frame some of my favourite works, I wish they were bigger, too. It reminds me I am an painter before an illustration. My works don't have to be reproducible all the time. I wanted to do a big painting for a long time but haven't had any inspiration. One day I think I should stop waiting for inspiration and just start it. After doing some sketches on paper and in Photoshop, I finally had an idea for the painting: a semi abstract image of a granite quarry. This is what I finish. It is not semi abstract at all, and looks like an illustration more than a painting I had in mind. It is totally not a granite quarry either. But I am happy with it. It is fun to work on something that takes shape on its on.
The size is just 19 inches. However, it is actually big when I have to paint the under layer with my fingers and colour pencils on top. I took a photo of it. The colour aren't correct but I guess that's ok for now. This is a good start. Next time I will work even bigger.

Solitude 1

No comments:

Post a Comment